- What is the "Project Administrator" permission type?
- What does "The Privacy" tab do?
- How do I change my password?
- How do permissions work with tasks?
- Who can see private items?
- How do I add client companies?
- Is there a limit to the number of users I can have?
- What can Administrators do?
- How do I move a user from one company to another?
- When importing users, the user names and data look incorrect - how to I fix this?
- What does the permission "Can add projects" allow?
- What does the permission "Can manage people" allow?
- What does the permission "Give automatic access to all future projects" do?
- How do I remove somebody from a project?
- I added a person and a photo of them appeared....how?
- What is the "Site Owner"?
- How can I change the site owner?
- When I edit an item I get a message "Invalid access list". Why?
- Can Google Apps for Domains OpenID be used with Teamwork?
- Does the free account allow unlimited users/people?
- How do I import users?
- How can I export my list of users to Excel?
- How do I delete a user?
- What happens when I delete a user? Will the historical references to that user will not be lost?
The Project Administrator permission type allows you to make a non-Administrator user and Administrator on a certain project only.
There are times where you may need to make a person an administrator only on a specific project without letting them change installation settings or other important account settings.
Project Specific Administrators can:
- Grant permissions to users on a project
- Delete or Edit messages created by other project members
- Delete or Edit time logs created by other project members
- Delete or Edit tasks created or assigned to other project members
- Add new users to the project
Change project settings such as:
- Active / Archived status
- Project Announcement
- Project Description
- Project Logo
- Project Start Tab
Most items in Teamwork Project Manager can be set to "Private"
This means that you can have items (such as Tasks, Milestones, Messages etc) private to select individuals within the project. You can also select to allow a whole company to view an item if you require This is useful for example when you need to discuss invoicing details of a project and do not want the client company users to see it. If you are working with more than one company in the project you can keep certain items and discussions private to just one company.
Owner company administrators will always be able to see every item regardless of the privacy set on the individual items.
If you click your name in the top right, choose "View my profile" and then click the "Edit my details" button on the right of the next screen.
You can change your password under the Account tab.
The permissions for tasks works in an Owner/Creator fashion.
If a person has the permission to Add/Edit Tasks on a project:
- They can mark tasks assigned to them as complete
- They can edit tasks assigned to them
- They can delete tasks they created
- They can add tasks and assign them to other people
- They can edit tasks they created and assigned to other people
- They can not mark complete tasks assigned to other people
- They can not edit tasks assigned to other people
- They can not delete tasks assigned to other people
Project Administrators / Global Administrators
- These users can Add / Edit / Delete / Complete all tasks in the specific project
In Teamwork you can make most items private to a select user, set of users, company or set of companies.
Only people who are part of this privacy list will be able to see the private items and activity relating to these private items (eg: Dashboard/Project Overview)
Very Important Note:
Users who are part of the Owner Company and who are Administrators can see all private items regardless if they are not part of the privacy list.
In Teamwork Project Manager, there are 2 distinct types of companies.
- The owner company that you are part of
- Any other company which is a Client Company.
To add a Client Company, click on the Settings link in the top right and choose "People"
On the right of the proceeding screen, you can click on "Add a new company" and then add some people to it.
When you add a project or edit a project, you can assign that project to the client company. This groups the project by the client company.
You can add any members of your client company to any project and set their permissions so you can collaborate on that project with them.
No. We do not limit the amount of users added to your installation or added to a project.
You can have as many users or companies on a project or added to your installation.
Any person can be marked an Administrator.
Owner Company Administrators
There is a difference in the types of administrator. People marked Administrator and part of the owner company can do absolutely anything and see all projects in your installation even if they are not one of the project members.
Client Company Administrators
People marked as Administrator and not part of the owner company (part of a client company) can only see projects they are members of.
They can create projects and can view/edit your other client companies and people. They can not edit Administrator accounts in the Owner company.
Generally you would not make people outside the owner company Administrators.
Administrators of the owner company can move users from one company to another by:
- Click Settings
- Click People
- Click the Company the user is currently in
- Click "Edit" on the User Card.
- Change the Company field to the new company
- Click the "Update details" button
If the user names and data look wrong during the import preview, it is probably because you have uploaded a file in the wrong encoding. TeamworkPM expects your files to be in Unicode format (UTF-8) so uploaded files that are in another encoding such as Cryillic will not be interpreted correctly.
Fortunately it is relatively easy to change the coding of a file if you encounter this problem.
- Cancel your current "Import Users" form if you haven't done so already.
- Open your file (.csv or .vcf) in an editor like notepad++ (or another text editor)
Change the file encoding to UTF-8.
- Save the file.
- Start the Import Users wizard again but use this new file - all user names should import correctly.
This permission allows you to mark some users with the ability to create projects without having to make them Administrators.
- Any projects they create are assigned to the company that user is a member of
- People with this permission are made a Project Administrator in any projects they create
This permission allows you to give any user permission to manage People & Companies without having to make them an Administrator.
People with this permission can view/edit all people and companies in your Teamwork account so be careful assigning this permission.
People with this permission can not modify Administrator accounts in the owner company.
When a user is assigned the permission "Give automatic access to all future projects", they are automatically added to all future projects according to the following:
- If the user is a member of the owner company, they are added to all projects added to your Teamwork account
If the user is not a member of the owner company, they are only automatically added to new projects that are assigned to their company.
Note: They are not automatically added to projects assigned to other companies.
To remove somebody from a project, click the "People" tab in the project and uncheck the Access Allowed checkbox next to their name.
You need to be an Administrator to add or remove people from a project.
When you add a person to Teamwork, we look up Gravatar.com to see if that person has added a photo to their email address.
Gravatar is an opt-in service where people can decide what photo to use on 3rd party sites (such as TeamworkPM) when their email address is added to a user profile.
You can find out more information on Gravatar here
The "site owner" is typically the person who created your TeamworkPM site. This person has the ability to manage the subscription for the account. By default we email subscripton invoices to the site owner.
Only the person who is the "site owner" can pass that status to another administrator.
You can pass this status on to another person by clicking the account of another site owner and then clicking the "Make Site Owner" link.
When you edit a private item and receive this message, it means that one or more of the companies or people who have been set in the Privacy for this item are no longer on the project.
You will need to edit the privacy of the item and reset who has access to the item which removes the invalid user or company from the access control list.
Yes. Google uses one URI for everyone and redirects based on your currently logged in Google account. Most apps including Teamwork requires a unique URI for each person.
You can bypass that by creating a custom URL for each user.
The URLs for each user should be of the form:
These should map to an "openid" file on the example.com domain. The same file can be served by each of the domains above.
There is a site here with steps to do it:
Each person enters their custom openID url in to Teamwork under their My Details section and everything should work.
It certainly does. All accounts in TeamworkPM include unlimited users.
You can import a batch of users by exporting files from other programs and uploading them to Teamwork. We support importing CSV files from Outlook, Outlook Express, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Eudora, GMail and some other application that use similar formats.
We also support the vCard (.vcf) file format.
To use the import wizard, administrators can click the "Import Users..." link at the bottom of the "People" page to see the following:
Choose the file you want to upload and you will see the following:
Select the users you want to import and click the "Import" button - you will be prompted to provide and missing required data such the user's name, company or email address.
All the users will be listed in TeamworkPM now. Note that they will not have been sent a welcome email and will not be able to login until you assigned each user am initial password.
You can export your users to Excel format by using the Teamwork API
You can call http://yourdomain.teamworkpm.net/people.xls and enter your username and password when prompted. An Excel file will download containing your user details.
Don't forget to change yourdomain to your real Teamwork account URL
More information on what can be done using the API can be found on our Developer Site
To completely delete a user from TeamworkPM, go to the People and Companies section.
Then click the account and choose "Delete account".
When you delete a user the account will no longer be visible but will remain in the database. All historical references will therefore not be lost.
Note that there is handy option to reassign any outstanding items to another person.