There are many little touches in Teamwork Project Manager that make things easier for helping you manager your projects.
Most you'll discover yourself but here are some staff favourites. You can also check out our YouTube channel which has some 'How to Videos' to follow along.
- Add #end to your email signature so it's not included in email replies
- Drag your clients from email to Teamwork Project Manager
- Quickly set the task due date to today
- Time your tasks automatically
- Create a custom domain for your installation
- Send a notification of a new/edited task to all people on a project
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Quickly select yourself when adding a new task
- Format your message's and comments....
- Ensure Auto Reply Vacation emails are not added to your message threads...
- New tasks and messages via email - add additional email addresses
- Preserve formatting in Task Description
- Notify your client when you complete a task....
- Create an email alias for adding tasks/messages to a project
- Force a refresh of your Google Calendar iCal feed
- Advanced Search parameters
- Create a Windows shortcut to your Teamwork account
- Quickly find a task, milestone or project by searching using it's ID
- Complete/Reopen tasks via email
If you add #End on a new line in a reply, it removes the signature from the reply added to the item on your Teamwork project.
You could add #End as 1px white text and spaced it one row above your normal email signature so no one can see it on normal emails but Teamwork will recognize the start of your signature.
Lots of people are familiar with email and are comfortable using it.
This not always ideal when you want the emails kept within Teamwork Project Manager.
If a client sends you an email outside of Teamwork Project Manager, you can create a new message in the project that is appropriate and set the author as your client.
To do this
- Log in to your Teamwork Project Manager installation
- Create a new Message in the appropriate project
- Click into the new message (right now it looks like you wrote it)
- Click on the profile picture next to the message
- Select the name of your client in the pop-up window
- Click Update Message button
The message is now updated to show that your client posted it. When you reply to this message and email notification is sent to the user with your new reply and the conversation is stored in Teamwork Project Manager.
With the Reply-By-Email feature, all future correspondence will be stored within Teamwork Project Manager.
When you are creating or editing a task, you can double click the Complete by (Due date) text box to insert today's date.
You can choose Today, Tomorrow, Next Week, Next Month quickly by clicking the links under the Complete by text box.
When you are working on a task, set a timer to automatically time the task and quickly log that time against the task when you're done.
To do this
- On the Tasks tab of a project, click the Options drop down to the left of the task
- Click on Start Timer
- A new task timer bar will be displayed at the bottom of the screen
- When you are finished the task, click the Log Time button and choose Billable if you want to log billable time.
You can freely move around your Teamwork Project Manager installation and the task timer will always be shown and counting...
Did you know you can create a custom domain for your Teamwork Project Manager installation?
If you are on the Business 2, Corporate or Enterprise price plan, you can create a custom domain that is familiar to your clients.
if your domain name is www.mydomainname.com, you can set up projects.mydomainname.com
Click here for instructions on how to map your custom domain to your TeamworkPM Account
- SSL is not supported on Custom Domain names
Custom Domains are only available on the following price plans
- Business 2
We have a number of keyboard shortcuts in Teamwork to make common operations easier and faster
- [Enter] when adding a task creates the task
Hovering over a task in the Tasks tab of a project
- [E] Edits the current task the mouse is over
- [T] Logs time on the current task the mouse is over
- [S] Start a timer on the current task
- [F] Quickly attach files to the task the mouse is over
- [Esc] Closes/Cancels any open dialog
- [F] Focuses the Search box for immediate search input
- [Q] Opens the "Quick Add" menu in the top left
- [S] Opens the "Switch Project" menu
When you are in a Project
Number [1-9] will jump between the tabs e.g:
-  jumps to the Overview tab
-  jumps to the Tasks tab
- Number [1-9] will jump between the tabs e.g:
You can quickly choose yourself when creating a new task by double-clicking the dropdown used to select the person responsible for the task.
This works in Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari. Firefox unfortunately does not support double-clicking select controls.
You can format your plain text messages, message replies and comments using Markdown
More information can be found here
The reply-by-email feature is great but sometimes people have auto-responders set up informing people that the person is not available.
To stop these from being added as messages on your Message or Comment thread, make sure you have Out of Office somewhere in the subject of your Auto-Reply email.
By default, we match any incoming emails with your primary email in Teamwork. A lot of people have multiple email accounts so we have added the ability to add 3 more additional email accounts to match incoming emails against.
To add your alternative email addresses, click you name in the top right and choose My Details. On the Details tab, click Add more details...
When you send a message or task via email, we'll match against your primary email address and any one of your 3 alternative email addresses.
This is only used for creating tasks and messages via the special email addresses per project in the Tasks and Messages sections. This does not affect the Reply-By-Email functionality on Messages, Message Replies and Notification emails.
These have a unique reply email address and you can reply to these from any email address. We already know who you are from the unique address.
If you would like to preserve the spacing etc in a task description, you can add [pre] and [\pre] around your task description.
These will be converted to <pre></pre> tags.
By default, when a user creates a task for you and you mark it complete, an email notification is sent to the user who created the task letting them know that you have completed the task.
Sometimes though, a request comes in by phone and you create the task for yourself. When you complete the task an email notification won't be sent (we don't send these notifications to people who create and complete the same task)
If you create a task and you want an email notification to be sent to your client, create the task and then click the Task Options drop down menu next to the task and choose "Task Properties".
This will allow you to attribute the task to your client so when you do mark it complete, they will get an email notification.
The Teamwork email dropboxes email addresses can be quite long.
While you can customize them to be more meaningful, you may want to create a friendly email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org
All you need to do is create your email address email@example.com and have it forward any email to your Teamwork dropbox email address.
Remember though that the FROM address (The email address of the user sending the email) must be an email address associated with a user in your Teamwork account and on the project that is receiving the tasks/messages via email.
Emails sent to the tasks/messages by email addresses will not be processed if the headers contain "Precedence: bulk" or "Precedence: list"
Google Calendar updates your iCal feed from your Teamwork calendar roughly every 3 hours and even longer in some cases.
Google Calendar cache your iCal feed by URL but you can force it to refresh by adding something unique to the URL that doesn't affect the authenticated URL string we provide.
For example, adding &x=2 to the end of your iCal feed will make Google Calendar think it is a new feed.
You can do advanced search queries using boolean operators ("AND" and "OR") and quotes around strings to match phrases.
(animals AND ("kittens" NOT "snakes")) OR (chocolate OR "cotton candy")
If you use Teamwork on Windows, why not create a Windows shortcut?
The easiest way to do this is right click on your Windows desktop and choose New and then Shortcut
On the dialog that appears, enter your Teamwork URL in the location field (e.g: http://mysite.teamworkpm.net)
You can name the short cut what ever you want maybe the name of your Teamwork account.
Click "Finish" to create the shortcut.
Once that's created, right click on the shortcut icon on your desktop and choose "Change icon"
We've put up a Teamwork icon which you can download here but you can use your own if you want:
Windows only allows actual .ico image files but many free apps can be downloaded to create a .ico file from your own logo.
A good online app to convert png files to ico files can be found here:
If you know the Teamwork ID of a task, milestone or project you can quickly find it by searching using the ID.
When a task is assigned to a person an optional email notification can be sent.
You can reply to this email with various commands to mark the task as complete.
If you receive a notification that a task has been completed, you can reply with various commands to re-open the task.
To Complete a task, reply to active task notifications with
To Reopen a task, reply to completed task notifications with
- You can also add a command and a comment at the same time. The command is processed and the command text is removed with the remainder added as the comment
- To Complete a task, reply to active task notifications with